Your privacy is important to us
- Negotiagent is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), Spam Act 2003 (Cth) and the Do Not Call Register Act 2006 (Cth).
Your personal information
- The type of information we collect about you will depend on the circumstances but will generally be required to allow real estate agents to appraise your property and then compete for your business. The information is likely to include such details as your home address, name, contact information and some photographs and descriptions of your property. We will always keep your street address, surname, phone number and email address private from agents until you consent to us providing the details to them.
- Agent information will be gathered to provide the best possible marketplace that can deliver local and relevant connections between Agents and Sellers.
- We may collect certain personal information (such as your name and suburb) if you choose to give us a testimonial. We post testimonials on our website which may contain this personal information in the testimonial. If you choose to give us a testimonial, you consent to us posting this content publicly.
- You do not have to provide us with your personal information, but if you do not provide us with the personal information that we need, we may not be able to provide our services or assistance to you or on your behalf.
How we collect and hold personal information
- We generally only collect your personal information from you directly via the internet, including our websites and social media, and our call centre and we only do so by lawful means. It is our usual practice to collect personal information directly from you (or from your authorised representative), for example when you contact us by e-mail, visit our website, if services are offered to you via a webpage of one of our commercial partners, or you enter into any trade promotions, competitions, specials or other offers with us.
- We may also collect personal information about real estate agents, or potential customers from a third party or a publicly available source, or from marketing and similar lists legally acquired by us.
- Please do not provide us with personal information about another person (such as a family member) without their prior consent.
How we use personal information
- We use personal information to provide tailored, locally focused services and products to our customers. We also use it to stay in touch and deliver optimal service so sellers can find the right real estate agent and agents can interact with local sellers they otherwise may not have had the chance to pitch to.
- We may use your log-in information, device information, cookie information and IP addresses to identify you and log your use across our website. We may use your IP addresses to personalise your experience on our website.
- We may also use it to tell customers and prospective customers about products, services or promotional offers that we think may be of interest to them.
- We also use the information to meet our regulatory and legal obligations, resolve any legal or commercial complaints and issues, manage our relationships with our participating providers, suppliers and stakeholders, conduct marketing research and analysis and ensure our customers received the best experience we can offer.
- We may use personal information to consider job applicants for current and future employment and carry out internal functions including training.
- We may also use your information for other purposes required or authorised by or under law, including purposes for which you have provided your consent. That consent may be written, verbal or implied from your conduct.
When might we disclose personal information?
- In the course of conducting our business and providing services to you we may disclose your personal information. We believe sellers should feel comfortable when they’re choosing a real estate agent, so you will always be asked before we can share your contact details with agents.
- We may also disclose your personal information to our contracted service providers, including: IT service providers, data storage, web-hosting and server providers, debt collectors, payment systems operators, financial institutions, third party entities with which Negotiagent has a commercial relationship, any applicable or relevant regulator or third party for the purpose of legislative or contractual compliance and/or reporting, or other entities if you have given your express consent.
- We may also provide your information to any persons acting on your behalf including those persons nominated by you, executors, trustees and legal representatives.
- We may also use your personal information to establish, maintain and administer your account, send you service or promotional communications, including surveys and information about security updates, create or distribute advertising material that is relevant to you and any other uses identified at the time of collecting your personal information. You consent to Negotiagent posting and using any photographs and/or property information you might upload both on its website, its social media sites and in any other content or copy.
- Your personal information may also be sent to our customer service team overseas so that we can provide the best possible service to you. Where personal information is transferred outside of Australia we believe that the recipients are subject to a contract which effectively upholds principles for fair handling of the information that are similar in all material respects to the Australian Privacy Principles.
- If you are a customer or a potential customer, we may contact you with information about products and services offered by Negotiagent which we think may be of interest to you. When we contact you it may be by telephone, email or SMS. We will give you the opportunity to express a wish not to receive direct marketing communications. Your consent to receive direct marketing communications in the above ways will be deemed to have been given if you do not opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications from us and will remain current for an indefinite period unless and until you advise us otherwise. You can opt-out of receiving direct marketing at any time by unsubscribing directly from email or SMS communications or writing to us at [email protected].
- We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Please let us know of any changes to your personal information by maintaining and updating your profile.
- We use appropriate measures to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction taking into account the risks involved in the processing and the nature of the personal information.
Links to third party sites
How to access and correct your personal information
- You can request access to the personal information we hold about you by contacting us via email at [email protected]. We will generally provide you with access, subject to some exceptions permitted by law.
- Access to personal information may be refused in a number of circumstances, such as where:
- providing access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
- the request is frivolous or vexatious;
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings and would not normally be accessible as part of those proceedings;
- providing access would be unlawful;
- denying access is required by law;
- providing access would be likely to prejudice enforcement related activities conducted by an enforcement body;
- giving access would reveal evaluative information in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process; or
- access would pose a threat to the life, health or safety of any individual or to public health or safety.
- If we deny or restrict access to the information you have requested, we will give you written reasons for this decision when we respond to your request. We may charge a fee to cover our costs of providing access to you and will advise you of any fee payable before we provide you with access.
When does my personal information get destroyed
- We will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify any personal information about you once the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected or as authorised or required by law.
How to get in touch or make a complaint
- Please contact us immediately if you become aware of any unauthorised use of your account by anyone else or any other breach of security.
- If you are an agent who would like to opt-out of email communication and/or remove your public profile please contact: [email protected].
- All enquiries and complaints will be taken seriously. We will investigate and respond to you in writing within 30 days.